Saturday 1 January 2011

Good-bye Hello

"Time the Elastic Band" strikes again.

Just because the earth revolves around the sun on an average of  365 days, 5 hours, 49 minutes and 12 seconds, we count out a year.   An earth year is specific to the measure of our little planet.  Being the creatures that we are, we tend to look at time in rather static ways as we measure our lives in years, or race off to keep that appointment or get to work "on time". 

Time is measured in the 'western world'  by the Gregorian calendar which was established only as recently as 1582,  and has become the internationally accepted civil calendar ( remembering that there are many other kinds of calendars,   the Hebrew calendar for instance,  in which the leap year 5771 started on the Gregorian calendar date of September 9, 2010.)   I  could go on.  I love this stuff.

Anyway,  this is all by way of saying good-bye to our Earth year end.  My human need for something to hang my hat on welcomes this new year, arbitrary as it is,  this new page, with a fervent prayer for the grace in our lives to make the right choices for a happier world.  I wish you  JOY.



So with that,  I open  my new sketchbook (which I was thrilled to find with acid-free oatmeal-coloured paper),  and began to play with my  new Winsor & Newton nut brown and gold/bronze (copper) ink.



Then I draw this figure in the nut brown ink and adding some violet, orange and white.

Yes, I have a New Year's resolution, though it is the same one I make every day:  I resolve to continue to explore a more personal creative expression with gratitude for the luxury of doing so knowing full well how blessed I am.


Bless us everyone.



3 comments:

Stone Tree Studio said...

I love what you've done in your new sketchbook! They are beautiful and mysterious. Happy New Year!

- Elise

Enchanted Blue Planet said...

Thank-you my dear.

barbara@sparrowavenue said...

the owl is great

Post a Comment