Wednesday 22 November 2017

by the sea: through Mahone Bay to Lunenburg


Well, how-d'ye-do! I'm back already.
I knew I had a lot of pictures to process from our travels with Connie so I though I'd devote some hours to fixing up my pictures from November 3rd:

our trip through Mahone Bay to Lunenburg

We started out from a balmy day of summer weather and arrived on the south shore to the cool damp of the Atlantic. Across the bay to the village of Mahone Bay.

The tide was somewhat out, coming or going I don't remember.
I thought I'd try out a panoramic shot of the bay.

Just beyond the parking lot something like sedge seemed to be growing in the loose soil.

We didn't stay long in Mahone Bay. Most places were closed and Lunenburg was calling us.

a grand old mansard-roofed house in Lunenburg as we approached the docks.

As soon as we got there I found my favourite picnic bench to eat our lunch. It was pleasant if you don't mind the salt spray of the fog rolling in in your face. Connie did, and turned her back to the wind. A dog walker found me changing my sandals over to socks and shoes and commented, " A little cold for a picnic."  It was a funny understatement.

As we strolled along the docks we found real fishermen doing repairs

and more sailors also doing repairs,

the latter two on the deck of...

the Theresa E. Connor.

looking back at the dock in the last picture

more boats moored

a boat launch overgrown with seagrass

a bird, probably a seagull, flying over the foggy harbour

boats in the mist 

and more

Connie found a whalebone on the dock; there were a few more laying about.

Quintessential Maritime colours of Adams & Knickle

Founded in 1897 by Harry W. Adams and Captain Alexander Knickle, the company quickly established its niche in the booming salt-fish trade. The company began as the partnership of Knickle & Co. and changed its name to Adams & Knickle Ltd. in 1907. On April 21, 1943, their fishing schooner, Flora Alberta,collided with the Fanad Head  about 140 kilometers from Halifax. ThFlora Alberta sunk within a few minutes of the collision and twenty-one crew members died as a result. The company was incorporated on July 30, 1945 and continues under this name as of 2009. 

During the early 1950s, the salt-fish trade began to dwindle, and a new scallop fishery emerged. In 1954, Adams & Knickle purchased Lunenburg’s first deep-sea scallop dragger, the Barbara Jo, and within the next five years, the company launched eight more wooden scallop vessels. By 1962, the offshore fleet had grown to 44 vessels, and to 77 by 1980. On July 31, 1980, their fishing trawler, Margaret Jane, collided with the Cape Beaver about six kilometers from Lunenburg. The Margaret Jane sunk within two minutes of the collision and four crew members died as a result.
thank you Wikipedia

I thought it was important to remember what a dangerous business the fishing trade can be as much a I enjoy the colourful beauty of this designated World Heritage fishing town. There is a memorial to fishermen on the Lunenburg docks.

Across the street there is a large old inn called Smuggler's Cove Inn. 
We began a walking tour of the next street up before it started to rain. I'll share that another day.

thank you as always for caring to visit and share your comments. So appreciated.


snuggling in on a rainy afternoon here
peace

7 comments:

Bill and dogs said...

There is something simultaneously calming and stimulating about the coast and the sound, smell and feel of the ocean. You captured it nicely. Today is our Thanksgiving, so this was a nice holiday post.

Enchanted Blue Planet said...

Yes, you said it so well. Thank you. And a most happy Thanksgiving to you Bill. I am grateful for your visits!

Jeanne-Sylvie said...

Your photos of boats in the fog are so beautiful !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Best thoughts to you my dear !!

Enchanted Blue Planet said...

Oh Jeanne-Sylvie, I knew you would like them :) We share such a love of moody photos. So nice.X

The Ozzie next door said...

G'DAY NEIGHBOUR!!!!!




Have I got you guessing??





Think 1989-90. Think Port Carling. Think the Australia Shop.





Yes......its me, Trevor. We received your delightful Christmas card and I want to reply in detail. How wonderful that you have remained in touch with mum and dad over all these years!!

How can I email you direct? :-)

Enchanted Blue Planet said...

Trevor dear! I'm sending you a letter with particulars via your parents. So pleased to reconnect.

The Ozzie next door said...

Great! And I will get a letter away to you too!! :-)

Post a Comment