Thursday 9 July 2015

summer in the garden


I debated whether to walk into town today.  It is substantially cooler here, away from the asphalt parking lots and stretch of plazas. And while the morning was pleasant, I guessed the afternoon walk back wouldn't be.  So I opted for a trip around the garden.

First stop, the basil, slowly growing from seed, in a pot
 on the old chair I found almost 3 years ago on the side of the road

Then I visited the onions and arugula which have gone to flower.

an Onion Flower about to bloom

Then, off to the branch of the cherry tree that hangs from our neighbour's tree onto our side
 that I harvested yesterday evening of its ripest cherries, leaving some for later

pretty cherries waiting to ripen

On the way to the other gardens I passed by our Harelson apple tree

The Harelson Twins

Here is our Rhubarb all gone to seed as we are both off sugar.
The entrance to the field blockaded with a palette
 to hopefully keep the deer from marauding our garden.

The composter garden looking happy

the Speedwell almost in full bloom

the Echinacea trying to catch up

an Echinacea flower just beginning to unfurl

and below it, some elegant new pinks are blooming

On the other side of the composter, we are still awaiting the arrival of our hollyhocks
whose little packages seem to be popping 

The Clematis that grow behind them have gone to seed

but these later blooming clematis are blooming profusely

They are a smaller bloom

The Clematis Stamen cluster so tightly

Behind me, these yellow lilies are blooming in happy abundance

as are these merry Coral Bells that rise up from their silvery leaves

This newest visitor, a dazzling exotic daffodil, rather late for a "normal" daffodil, I'd say,
but she's got that kind of charisma that allows her to arrive late to any party and be the star.

Then there are the hard-bloomed flowers I've been keeping you posted on, the ones that started off a purpley pale grey and are still alive, showing no sign of leaving;
 the hardiest bulb flowers I ever did see.

Behind me again, in the lily garden, the pink mallows herald the arrival of these stars of the garden.

These dark, berry looking things grow from the stalks of the lilies, 
Have I forgotten that these are the flower buds?

This year we have white mallow in the lily bed as well

So very beautiful

How the stamen cluster around the pistil. Maybe they're trying to cover it up!

heart of a mallow

From the front gardens I pass by the hydrangea to the back
This is the first full bloom

To my left, Wally has staked the grapevines to trellis

Beyond the grapevines, hidden in the shelter of the lilacs are some deleriously scented wild roses

I walk past Forget-Me-Not Cabin to find a few stray namesakes.

Out back, where I've done a little clearing behind the cabin,
I can hear a tractor starting up.

At my feet, lupin pods among the grasses and purple vetch

To the side of me, more lupin pods with a chorus of tall grasses

A mass of wild roses bloom behind the back of the garden hedge

Now, if you can believe it, I have more pictures, as the tractor, indeed started mowing the field, 
but I have used a ridiculous amount of time preparing these shots, so I'll do another post later.
It is very exciting, somehow, when it's hay day.

Thank you to those of you who are patiently waiting for me to pick up my drawing and painting again. I am glad to say the heart is willing. I have been away from it now since February. I hope to have something to share with you soon.

a sweet day to you


0 comments:

Post a Comment