Thursday 9 September 2010

I'm ba-ack.  Thank-you for waiting for me.  I hope all is well today on our little planet and no one has had to suffer unduly.

I've been thinking a lot about limitations.  There are a few more than usual  in my acquaintance right  now  who are undergoing some kind of physical duress, and with it,  the emotional attachment to their physical pain and/or limitations that keeps them from doing or being what they would like.  Each of us,  regardless of our situations in life,  is limited in some or many ways by all kinds of things:  our bodies,  or as one friend calls them, "our earth suits",  are just one example.  This is inherent in being human.   I  find that when I trap myself in a way of thinking that is fearful and unimaginative,  I am most limited,  and flounder for a while until I remember that I am the author of my own script.

 "Where there is a will there is a way"  is one way of looking at ones problems or "challenges",   but I often find that orchestrating solutions is not always as satisfying as it is cracked up to be;  that with one horizon met,  so looms another,  sometimes more difficult one to achieve,  bringing up a whole new set of reactions.  As I watch the world speeding by from the  (for now)  safety of my country home,  I marvel at the complicated and stressful lives we are convinced are "normal" and "right",  and I think that sometimes withdrawing,  or better still  'being with'  rather than  'attacking'  the problem at hand is the better choice:  action through non-action. 


A few days ago I had the opportunity to view a short film that threw my life into perspective in the midst of busily washing the kitchen floor in preparation for a friend's visit.  I hope it will do the same for you



When in doubt of my own abilities to find creative solutions, I turn to old stand-bys that work as a catalyst to bring me into my centre, my source of truth and love.




This pen and ink and watercolour copy I made of Beatrix Potter's little mouse from The Tailor of Gloucester is an exercise in centring.  One is compelled to measure space and colour and tonal value, etc.  by eye,  an intensive business that exacts concentration and intention.  I  found myself so busy with it that I could  no longer see the whole picture til I came out the other side. 

All learning is incremental and forces a new horizon as we catch up to the old.  And of course, it wouldn't be so difficult at times if we weren't so consumed by our limitations.  I can only imagine that we are here to learn how to find our joy, and then share it with others.

 With patience,
most especially with oneself, 
 we can, 
 in time, 
 reach goals
we never thought
 possible.


0 comments:

Post a Comment