Tuesday 5 April 2011

northern russian needlework



More than a little time has passed since I last posted. Thank-you to those loyal readers who have patiently awaited my return.

My creative energy has gone into several things other than artwork, though last week I did manage to work on a project for the Bohemian Cafe & Gallery's show, The Mad Hatter's Tea Party, which I finished late at night and delivered before sunrise the following morning on the way to Toronto to help my mother with her big move to a wonderful new home.  If you look at the 7th picture down on this link you will see a glimpse of my piece in the direction of 1 o'clock from the central figure, a young lady dressed as Alice. This is a unique gallery in Muskoka that offers rental space to artists to show whatever they wish in downtown Bracebridge.

So, in lieu of showing something of my own, I am posting a rare photo of historic northern Russian needlework that shows its obvious Scandinavian influence.



I'm not normally a fan of cross stitch, but the geometrics in this piece are charmingly comical in their primitive drawings, sophisticated in their execution.


I expect to be back soon with some new things I've been working on.
'Til then,  all my best wishes.


0 comments:

Post a Comment