Friday 23 June 2017

fair weather


When we say "we're having some weather", we mean something more severe than usual.
When I hear about tornados in Ontario where I'm from originally, my memories from before we left come up short. The damage and devastation can be frightening if not tragic.

I'm glad to swap them for our severe weather here in Nova Scotia in the form of hurricanes and blizzards, and the outrageous heat that comes to the Annapolis Valley. So far, this summer has been fairly kind to us.

Shall I compare thee to a summer’s day?

Thou art more lovely and more temperate.
Rough winds do shake the darling buds of May,
And summer’s lease hath all too short a date.
Sometime too hot the eye of heaven shines,
And often is his gold complexion dimmed;
And every fair from fair sometime declines,
By chance, or nature’s changing course, untrimmed;
But thy eternal summer shall not fade,
Nor lose possession of that fair thou ow’st,
Nor shall death brag thou wand’rest in his shade,
When in eternal lines to Time thou grow’st.
     So long as men can breathe, or eyes can see,
     So long lives this, and this gives life to thee.

William Shakespeare wrote this- Sonnet 18- over 400 years ago. There is an exquisite beauty in his words that touches me to my core. This is the greatest lesson of being human- to come to know beauty beyond the ravages of time, to know the essence of life beyond physical beauty and recognize that as the truly beautiful.

Muji has been fussy about eating lately, but eventually he caves in and gets what he needs.

He's rarely playful. Babu has taught him to play tag.
But here he takes an interest in my bag folding.

His long "fingers" latch onto a compact triangle that interests him.

Then he strikes an "I don't care" pose that makes me think that's the end of it. 

Ah, but the hunt is not over.

Muji makes another reach

and he reaches out again

A bite is much more effective than a finger grab, and he pulls it off the table.

the Look.

I've never heard of, let alone used, an 8B graphite stick, so I was happy to get my fingers dirty playing around with this.

fair weather to you dear viewers,
and when it isn't clear sailing
 let us keep an even keel

cherish this moment



0 comments:

Post a Comment