Wednesday 27 December 2017

betwixt Christmas and New Year's


Christmas Eve. Does it seem a little dusty already?
Such an unusual phenomenon this anticipation, the Day itself, followed by the all-too-soon but inevitable return to reality. We don't seem to have as many crescendos in our lives these days as when we were young, but I remember this feeling of ho-hum all too well. Wally is back at work, the wicked wind has died down and the snow that came on Christmas Day has settled in with temperatures around this morning -12C ( 11F ). My friend in Saskatchewan reported temperatures of -28C. Is that even possible!?!?!

Around the internet, people are "setting their intentions", making their resolutions, planning for a wonderful new year to come. One youtube series I watch regularly is Sixty and Me hosted by Margaret Manning. Recently she talked about picking a word to set the tone for the new year:



Experience
Challenge
Release
Love
Grace
Focus
Enjoy
Health
Abundance
Target
Kindness
Patience
Hygge
Peace
Enthusiasm
Progress
Courage
Move
Grateful
Compassion
Expansion
Gusto
Cherish

Does this inspire you? Do you have a word you would like to share? 


On Christmas Eve we did our yearly cruise through various neighbourhoods to view the Christmas Lights. 

This one particularly captured my imagination for its elegant simplicity.
It helps that the architecture is so pretty.

This mid-century modern home is not shown to advantage at night, but it's pretty spectacular.
That's one massive wreath they hung in the middle, spotlighting it and the house.

There was a lot of use of spotlights this year,

and these horrible whirling projections on houses

Many houses ran the usual string of lights along the eaves or the front porch.

Some had colour themes and were lucky if they had a Christmas shaped fir to string some lights on.

This snake of lights cracked me up, similar to our neighbour's style of lighting-
just fling the string of lights up as high as it will go and trail what you've got left.  

A spotlit nativity scene is a nice change.

This glorious bit of business was carefully considered.

More spotlights, but nicely balanced with white lights and wreaths. 

This one takes the cake for extravagance. Seen from a sub highway,
it takes up a small parkette at the end of dead end road.

we joined many others in finding our way into the little cul de sac, lit up for all to see. 
Neighbours peeked from their windows to watch us rubberneckers
Do you see the mannequins on the porch dressed as old time choir singers?
Wally told me that the lore is that the original owner who started this display died and the new owners took up his mantle and continued to add on each year.  

This is the pretty house across the street is decked out with wreaths in every window, the big one on top and the one in the door spotlighted

More themed colours with wreaths in the windows and spotlights.

And again with the spotlights. I'm guessing this is more common to the wealthier neighbourhoods.

Approaching this building from the side, I was confused as to how an apartment building would make it into this upper class neighbourhood, but Wally assured me it was a house and sure enough,

it is. And a spectacular piece of modern architecture at that. 

Somewhat like a public building, I appreciate it for its individuality and grand statements like that front door and the two Christmas trees in the windows.

Finally, a more humble little home, again with themed lighting and spotlights,
all sorts of wreaths and doesn't the tree add a nice balance.

Many houses this year had those simple candelabras with their orangey vermillion bulbs in the windows.  Many more houses remained dark as if they didn't want any trick-or-treaters coming to the door. I always wonder how folks are managing at this highly emotional time of the year. It's easy to succumb to sad memories or failed dreams or just plain fear which is usually bound up with one's feelings about the future. But that's what this moment, this PRESENT, is for:  to draw us up into what really IS. Invariably there is a gem waiting inside of it, the miracle, the light

I think if I had one word to choose, it probably would be 
presence
followed immediately by
gentleness

We need to be gentle on ourselves, on our limitations of ourselves and others. We live in a flawed world. And yet every little change affects something else. That is called "the butterfly effect". Staying present to what we can do in our little sphere has enormous consequences. If we owe anybody anything it is to keep our consciousness of our value intact. You are an important player in this game of life.
Be kind, be gentle, be present.



7 comments:

Bill and dogs said...

A very nice, creative post. I'd choose the same three words you used to end this post - kind, gentle, present. I liked your Christmas light photos also. I drove around at midnight to take pictures of Christmas lights but learned that my camera cannot manage it. Also I learned that most people turn off their lights before midnight. You and your camera did a great job of it.

Enchanted Blue Planet said...

Hey, Thanks Bill! I'd be doing the midnight run too. I love those meaningful times of the night when the world shuts down, but so do the timers on those Christmas lights it seems. We've been keeping our lights on all through the last 3 nights and now with the extra snow, they really light up our yard.
If you have a manual setting to slow your speed down on your camera and a tripod you might catch some fabulous low light shots. I don't know how I got so lucky with this little automatic camera except for Wally's photography experience in choosing it for me. You do take some GORGEOUS photos though.

Bill and dogs said...

What kind of camera do you use?

Enchanted Blue Planet said...

Hi Bill,
Wally picked this camera out for me at Walmart.(No, he doesn't own the store LOL)
It was the winter of 2012 so I don't know if it's still sold. It's called:
SONY Cybershot
It has 14.1 megapixels, and is S-L-O-W at adjusting for light and speed so I take a LOT of blurry photos (from the car, low light, shakey hands) on the chance that one will come out. I do lots of adjusting in Windows Photoshop.
But one of the biggest buying factors for Wally is the Carl Zeiss lens which is fabulous for close up pictures; that name is right on the lens surround with another word that I don't know what it means: Vario-Tessar. The whole thing is about the size of a business card (2"x3") and about 3/4" thick.

But I really do mean it when I say you take some fabulous shots i.e. your post on your favourites from this past year. Your colour seems more accurate on sunsets in low light and your romping calves are not blurry. My Dad used to say, "What do you want to buy a new house for? You're just trading one set of problems for another." But of course TWO cameras might cover a myriad of "problems", so maybe it's worth exploring.

Bill and dogs said...

Thanks. It sounds like my camera except for the added lens, and I'll check that out. My camera got so cold yesterday that it quit working, though it was OK again after I got back indoors.

Enchanted Blue Planet said...

The Carl Zeiss is not an added lens, just part of my "point and shoot" camera.
I used to put my old SLR camera in a bag when I came in from the cold to prevent the interior of the lens (and the interior of the body) from misting up. I guess I've never been too long in the cold to have my present camera "freeze" up. Glad to read it didn't rust up on you.

Jeanne-Sylvie said...

What a lovely post!! How much i love those christmas lights!! Thanks a lot for sharing such a beautiful jaunt!!
Be well and warm my dear Lorraine!

Post a Comment