Friday 11 September 2015

a flower walk


A little flowered out here after formatting these pictures.  Brace yourself for part two of my in-town nature walk.
After a lifetime of calling these snapdragons, I've learned that these common wildflowers
 are really called Yellow Toadflax.
 
I've known about Jewelweed since my Muskoka days.
As delicate as it is, it makes up for in pervasiveness.

a giant clump of wild asters,
 
the quintessential wildflower of autumn
 
Now I've turned off the main street onto a more cultivated road
where this berry grows on a privacy hedge
 
what is left of a pretty pink flower; I highly doubt they're edible
 
a stand of tall grasses in someone's yard that must have been over 7 feet high
 
a 1950's classic at the corner
 
I almost wiped out on this extended branch of cherries

I'm guessing they're chokecherries so I didn't even try one
 
At the end of this road, a favourite yard with this apple-like fruit all over the lawn
 
across the road, a ravine of bamboo
 
I turn down a road that we once thought we might like to live on
 and find an orchard in someone's side yard.
 
two of many varieties of apples in such a small space
 
across the street, repairs are underway on an old house
 
A favourite pumpkin coloured door on a house at the top of the hill
 
at the bottom of the hill is a beautiful flowering bush at the back of a church

its bud and blooming flowers

called Hibiscus, the Rose of Sharon

They turn to purple as they die

I faded this shot to show the textures
 
as I walk along the side of the church I catch it's side entrance garden
 
Red  Prince Weigela

with its tulip flowers that stay red when they die off
 
Some pink beauties

one of the many wild roses that abound
 
and up close
 
At the foot of the hill, I turn left and walk along the main road approaching the corner where
The Cornwallis Inn as it stands today
Kentville - 1931 photo Kentville1931_zpsc4509829.jpg
Aerial view of the Cornwallis Inn 1931
Kentville post card photo postcaard_zpsfb755749.jpg
Cornwallis Inn Circa 1931
 
Behind the Inn I found the old railroad track that I'd never walked on

the small creek that runs in the ravine behind our house,
carries on here between the path and neighbourhood houses.
Next time I come, I'll bring a garbage bag.

On the other side, cords of firewood and old pallets await winter
 
further along, another stand of bamboo

I catch a close up of its flowers

Someone has made a back gate for access into town
 
Only one short block from the main road and yet a jungle of vines

I cross a double bridge
 
and take a last shot of the weedy asters and fleabane
 
before deciding to leave the trail behind the curling club building

walking its driveway out to this tidy corner that I turn up towards the main street 

a short walk back to my street, I stop to admire an old fashioned garden of
Sedum!, Echinacea and Hydrangea

It's a bit of a climb home going this way
which is why I zig-zagged earlier into town to take more shallow slopes
 
At one point I put my hoodie on to buffer any falling acorns
as I could hear them hitting the road. Thankfully I got by unscathed.
 
Thank you for sharing this walk with me. It is a sweet, if wistful time of year, as we pass into the next season.  Perhaps we'll see some "fall colour" this weekend as none of the leaves have changed around here in this part of the Valley.
 
Have a pleasant weekend-
 with no falling "conkers" (as I hear falling chestnuts are appropriately called).
 
 


0 comments:

Post a Comment