Tuesday 11 July 2017

a garden of fruit


"What a difference a day makes." Overcast and cooler, the windows are open and I need a sweater, or as they say in England, a "jumper". I grew up calling the horrible cobalt blue rompers we had to wear for gym class, circa 1967, jumpers. Maybe it was because we jumped around in them, but I only remember running in  circles or playing volleyball. Well, you do jump in volleyball. Anyway, I was mortified that anyone but the other girls would see me in them. What a difference 50 years makes. Yikes!

I set out to  take some pictures of the garden. First stop the hayfield. I woke from a dream that it was being subdivided and put up for sale- a nightmare really- probably because I heard a tractor working yesterday. How we love this piece of rural respite.  But this White Sky day made the vista rather humdrum.


I turned to take a quick trip around the garden to survey our bounty.
As I passed by Forget-Me-Not Cabin, I took a picture of the old door latch with its 3 different screws, one of them looking rather more like a bolt. Clearly a quick patch as it sits crooked as well.
We are hooked on the old charm nonetheless.

Wally's garden, a little unkempt, but producing all the same.
I'm in it daily for lettuce, dill and cilantro, sometimes oregano. Soon the peas will be ready.
I usually weed out the clover, grass and sorrel as I go.

Our berry patch has 3 different bushes. Here, the currants.

the highbush blueberries coming along

And this raspberry, plus 3 others, ready to go. Pop!

I only took one cherry. They don't seem to be growing as low this year, but I can see many high up.

more Harelson apples than ever
I always wonder if we'll beat the deer to them. Without a fence this year, the race is on!

Heading back in I pass the composter garden with some pinks growing in amongst the lavender.

Dissatisfied with the go-to subject material I've been doing, I looked through my resources and found this picture  (go to the second image called Kid Gloves) by British painter and printmaker, Cornelia O'Donovan, that caught my imagination, and drew my interpretation of it in coloured pencils.
I prefer to draw from my own imagination, but inspiration and influences are wonderful kick starts, and by my next go at it, I was back to drawing on my own resources.

Yesterday was the full moon. Today's is called Waning Gibbous, meaning it is less than a full circle. Anti-climactic in a way, it doesn't mean we can slack off.  The Old Farmer's Almanac says "From full Moon through the last quarter, or the dark of the Moon, is the best time for killing weeds, thinning, pruning, mowing, cutting timber, and planting below-ground crops." For non-farmers, this might mean a good edit at home.

Til next time, thank you for dropping by.

a light heart
a heart full of light
lightness
Light

0 comments:

Post a Comment