Thursday 27 July 2017

Babu has an adventure


There's a quiet sense of urgency as we near the end of July. So much to be done still as the weather takes a dip to cooler temperatures. I find myself in the garden more often thought the black flies and mosquitoes still find me. I try not to breathe so they can't find my trail of carbon dioxide. Haha

I have a round of pictures today of dear Babu looking for some entertainment. Let me start by telling you that the action takes place in the vestibule that leads to the backyard.

We keep a cart of plastic lined canvas bags that were sold as laundry dividers. I was lucky to find 4 bags on a cart and use them as recycle dividers. Yes, I do need 4 of them plus the composter can by the kitchen sink. We must also buy various colour coded plastic bags in which  to put it curbside.
Nova Scotia is diligent and proud of its recycle program.

Generally Babu is a well-behaved little (big) boy, but he gets bored and that helps me to pet-proof the house if I don't want to find something I care about dragged through the house. It's part of what has made him a good mouser. He's caught 2 and we've released them both.

This time a dried stick caught his attention,
one that I'd taken a fancy to and left propped on the recycle cart.

Most of the action took place after Babu knocked the stick into one of the bags.

He was hardly in a position to jump in and get it.

Like the cat that he is, he immediately changed his focus
as if the stick wasn't what he wanted anyway.

But as he stalled out for a second

contemplating his next move

he turned away, again as if he didn't care.

But not so;

he did want that stick.

What's a poor cat to do?

"I want that stick but I can't reach it."

He made another move on it,

had a good look inside,

thought again about his options
and made one last ditch effort

which slid the cart backward and quite freaked him out!

I did get him the stick, putting it on the kitchen floor for him.
He was totally disinterested in it.
Just like a cat. 

During all this, Wally was outside, finishing trimming the hedge, perched on a ladder, barely reaching the centre of the hedge which seems to widen yearly. That was a job. He keeps asking me to let him take it down to knee high. Well, at least a manageable height. 
As much as I'd like the view, I also like keeping the deer out.

I've been meeting challenges of my own, wanting to complete a spread ( 2 pages side by side) in the cheap little 5 1/2 x 7 1/4 sketchbook I've  been working in these last 5 months.
 
 Inspired by California artist Roxanne Coble , I gained the confidence to do something more complicated,  more personal, more layered.  Working with my trusty pencil crayons, paint pens and India ink brush pens. 

Tomorrow some more art. I've been on a roll.

"Every morning, even before I open my eyes, I know I am in my bedroom and my bed. But...sometimes I wake up with a feeling of childish amazement: why am I myself? What astonishes me...is the fact of finding myself here, and at this moment, deep in this life and not in any other. What stroke of chance has brought this about?"
                                                                                              Simone de Beauvoir


2 comments:

Jeanne-Sylvie said...

It is so good to be able to visit your lovely blog again!! I feel a new inspiration in your artwork, love that!!! Babu, that little guy is a sheer delight , and so is Muji of course!
Be well my friend!!!

Enchanted Blue Planet said...

Thank you Jeanne-Sylvie, great to have you back. Yes, as Picasso said, Inspiration likes to find us working.

Post a Comment