Tuesday 4 July 2017

july glory


July, in all her glory.
The first was the second of two days of rain.
The second, the heat and humidity were stifling.
Day three, the humidity lifted.

Today, glorious summer.

On Saturday night I made a chickpea and cauliflower curry on brown basmati rice with a dollop of homemade tzatziki that had fresh dill from our garden. Butternut squash with flaxseed oil and bok choy on the side. Yum. I have to laugh at myself for taking such a picture, but I truly am proud of the way we eat with as much organic food as possible.

It is so incredibly fresh and high pressure a morning today that I am feeling quite perky.
The potted tomatoes are coming along brilliantly.

The giant leaves on the Hollyhock are perforated by bugs making them look quite homely, but their blossoms will be worth the wait. The Clematis are doing well alongside.

The Hydrangea is blooming prolifically; I wonder that it hasn't taken over the yard yet.

We got a Dahlia on sale in the annuals section. Wally was pleased to research his hunch that they are, indeed, a tender perennial, meaning that their bulbs need to be dug up and overwintered each fall.

After I gave the cats their breakfast, Babu had a little snooze in the vestibule.

Muji still wanted attention.

plaintive Muji

His cries woke Babu up

Beautiful Blue-Eyes 

 I went outside to take a picture in the shade where the light is true of the drawing I did on Saturday, when I heard the Song Sparrow singing quite close and looked up to find him- close!

Try as I might, he'd turn his head each time I took his picture- always watchful.





Something happened on Saturday night after that chickpea curry dinner as I watched videos of various contemporary artists. The sensitive line drawings made me want  to scribble, and as I contemplated what I had done, I drew a face amidst and suddenly saw ears in the mess as well. Coloured Pencils again with tiniest touches of India ink Pitt pen.
Don't forget that you can always make a picture larger by clicking on it.

It surprises me when I see shifts in my work. It is easy to be influenced by a million things, and so hard to self reference. We are obliged to wake up, to take conscious note of where we are, who am I today?

I leave you with this quote by Anais Nin:


"Life is a process of becoming. A combination of states we must go through. Where people fail is that they wish to elect a state and remain in it. This is a kind of death."



0 comments:

Post a Comment